Saturday, January 28, 2012

Where I Get Sappy and Lovey-Dovey

So, my mood improved greatly last night.
First, the hubby told me what his secret surprise for me was. Are you guys ready for this? (I'm serious, this is, like, the sweetest thing ever.) The hubby has been in contact with The Goddess's (Jennifer Crusie's) daughter/business manager about sending my favorite book of The Goddess's to be signed. HOW SWEET IS THAT? Want something sweeter? Apparently, he came up with this idea at work. He told me he was working, and suddenly he thought that while we have a good time together and all that, he doesn't ever really surprise me with random presents or anything. And then he was thinking of a good present, and he decided that having Jenny Crusie sign one of my books would be the awesomest thing ever. (Which it totally is.) He was going to keep it secret and have it be my Valentine's Day present, but then decided that he'd let me open it as soon as it got here, and then decided that I would notice the book being missing, and that he really just needed to tell me that it was happening. And when he did, I was totally silly with glee, and after appropriate amounts of squeeing and dancing around in joy, I felt a bit shaken out of my grumpalicious mood.
And then, because The Hubby knew I was feeling pissy and resentful of not being able to go out and party and dance and generally shake my tushy, he decided to play some fabulous old school hip-hop that I love so that I could dance a bit in the apartment. That way, when my back started giving out, I could lay down and rest it immediately, instead of, at the club, having to seat on some super-unsupportive stool. It was awesome and after I danced to a couple of songs, I felt much, much better about the universe and my place in it. :)
Today, we looked at some used cars (the Explorer is getting very close to being dead and it makes life very exciting when I have to take it out of town), tried to get my book sent to The Goddess, ate a completely awesome lunch, and cleaned the apartment.
A quiet weekend, but a damn good one.
And so, instead of being grumpy and pissy about all the things that I can't do, I'm feeling really grateful that I have such a sweetheart for a hubby, and that he understands what I need, what makes me happy. It's something that I don't think we appreciate as much as we should. Romantic movies tend to disregard the devoted best friend as a hero, going instead for the sexy new guy. (Think of Buffy -- Xander was never a viable option for her to date (although, to be honest, that relationship couldn't have happened without hurting Willow), it was always Angel, or that Army guy who didn't last, or Spike.) But someone who knows what makes you laugh, who can make you laugh when you really don't want to (because you have a dramatic streak a mile wide and you're enjoying being a bit of a wench), and goes to get to chocolate and peanut butter ice cream is someone who is definitely to be appreciated.
Okay, are you gagging yet? I got a little sappy. I'm sorry. But Jenny Crusie is going to sign a book for me. It's allowed. ;)
Anyway, speaking of Jenny Crusie, here is an excellent chat transcript between her, Krissie, and Lani about the use of soundtracks for their books (and, if you remember, it was a song for my soundtrack that got me all sappy and grumpy yesterday). It's hilarious, as is anything with the three of them. Enjoy!
http://www.arghink.com/2012/01/28/the-three-goddesses-chat-book-soundtracks/#more-6634

No comments:

Post a Comment