Saturday, February 4, 2012

Nothing Serious

I'm a little worn out by all the whining I've done about my past the last couple of days, so I'm steering clear of those kinds of discussions for awhile. I will just say that although my past has been problematic, although I may come off as a man-hater and a victim, I am most certainly not. At least, not anymore. I couldn't even tell you when it all changed, or how it all changed. I know that sometime after I stopped taking anti-depressant medications and stopping seeing therapists, I started reading, almost exclusively, romance novels. I branched out from Jennifer Crusie and found other authors and subgenres that I enjoyed. And I think that I was affected by those stories the same way Jennifer Crusie was when she first started reading romances -- that here were these positive stories of women working hard to find happiness. And even though I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened, suddenly reading became my therapy; stories became my medication.
And suddenly I was happy, but it was a sustained completely goofy happiness. I have been known to bunny-hop across the apartment just for giggles. The Hubby and I went to get our taxes done last night. He "fake stole" a peppermint and I wrote on him, and the chick doing our taxes stopped suggesting that we get some "dependents" so we could get a bigger refund. :)
Right now I'm reading Frederica, by Georgette Heyer, and it is so adorable. It's a Regency romance, and I have always maintained a disdainful distance from historical romances because usually they involve things so improbable as to border on ridiculous, or what the SmartBitches call the "Old Skool Romance" hero, who is generally an asshole who must be redeemed. Since we all know I how much I hate men, I am not a fan of that kind of hero. (Dripping sarcasm, by the way -- although I don't like the rapey asshole heroes, they annoy me for some reason.) Anyway, I've found a few historical romances that have been absolutely incredible. I've heard so many references to Heyer lately, that I decided to bite the bullet and try her out. Oh my god. SO cute. Take one something by Jane Austen and throw in the most hilarious and ridiculous set of accidents, and that's Frederica. The heroine is smart and funny and sharp. She thinks she's too old to be a suitable marriage partner for anyone, but wants to push her younger sister (a stunning beauty, but not a whole lot going on upstairs) into society. And the hero is this supremely bored, too rich for his own good, sardonic, sharp guy who is convinced to help, and to watch him fall under the spell of the family, to not be bored, but to try to do the right thing for everybody, and to watch him slowly realize he's in love with Frederica.. *sigh* It's just too, too wonderful. I am totally in love. And they do the things that Jenny Crusie and Lani Diane Rich determined were necessary to establish a good romance -- they work together (there's a completely hysterical scene where they just kind of improv with each other, which reminds me of It Happened One Night), they have great dialogue, and you can tell that they really care about each other, and it's so fabulous. So much squee.
Anyway, romance is fabulous. Haha.
Also, I'm going painkiller free this weekend, because the big meeting with the neurosurgeon is on Monday, and we want to have the decision based on all the facts. So, I may become extremely bitchy by tomorrow. That may be why The Hubby went out and got me peanut butter and chocolate ice cream of his own free will. Haha. That's a smart man. I'm very lucky.
Okay, I'm going to go back to my extremely happy-inducing book and to the UFC event we decided to buy.
Here is the transcript of a Three Goddess chat on romantic comedy, where they discuss everything they learned from their review of romantic comedy films on Popcorn Dialogues: http://lucymarch.com/?p=6066. It's awesome. You will learn much.

No comments:

Post a Comment